All UW-Madison dissertations and theses required by the department for submission to the library are cataloged in the Library Catalog. If you do not find a dissertation or thesis in the Library Catalog, contact the department. Full-text PDF files of UW-Madison doctoral dissertations completed 1997 or later are available through ProQuest Dissertations & Theses.
Locating UW-Madison Dissertations & Theses
- In the Library Catalog
- In the Library Catalog advanced search, click Manuscripts, Theses from the list of facets on the right.
- Enter an author, title, and/or year search terms.
- Click Search.
- In Library Databases
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses index and full text to dissertations and theses from over 700 academic institutions around the world
- Most pre-1997 UW-Madison dissertations and theses have been scanned as part of the Google Digitization Project. Digitized copies have been deposited in Hathi Trust, a repository for the digitized collections of major research institutions and libraries. When available, Library Catalog records contain links to Hathi Trust and Google Books. Content in the public domain is available full text.
Borrowing UW-Madison Dissertations & Masters Theses
UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1965-present are stored in the Theses collection in the basement of Memorial Library. UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1892-1964 are located in the UW-Madison Shelving Facility. UW-Madison master’s theses are not available for check out; they may be viewed in a library.
All Northwestern University doctoral dissertations and selected masters theses are listed in NUsearch. The easiest way to search for them is by author or by title, if known.
To search for theses or dissertations from a specific academic department or by topic, do a keyword search in NUsearch by typing "nu dissertation" and the name of the department in which the dissertation was completed, as shown below.
You can also use this strategy to locate dissertations by topic, for example: "nu dissertation" AND "venture capital"
You can also search through ProQuest Dissertations & Theses for Northwestern University dissertations.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global
With more than 2 million entries, PQD&T offers comprehensive listings for U.S. doctoral dissertations back to 1861, with extensive coverage of dissertations from many non-U.S. institutions. A number of master’s theses are also listed. Thousands of dissertations are available full text, and abstracts are included for dissertations from the mid-1980s forward.